Alternative Job Titles
Senior ITS Engineer, ITS Director, Transportation Engineering and Operations Bureau Chief
Responsible for citywide technology governance, strategic planning/policy development to advance Smart City solutions for infrastructure, energy, water and waste management; transportation alternatives, building/preoperties, and programs that promote technology literacy and public access to government information. Oversee diverse urban multimodal transportation needs critical to supporting ongoing safe/efficient management of a balanced street system that fully accommodates the needs of people who walk, bike, drive, and use transit.
Other responsibilities typically include:
- Collaborate with City departments working to devise Smart City solutions.
- Assist departments in managing, analyzing, interpreting data produced through Smart City implementations.
- Help departments ensure Smart City projects comply with City laws, policies, and standards.
- Work with appropriate IT teams on Smart City projects being proposed/planned.
- Ensure City standards of enterprise architecture, project management, procurement, security, privacy, social equity, data management, and performance are factored into the design of Smart City projects.
- Maintain a high level of education and awareness of developments in the Smart City technology environment.
- Analysis/Research/Report Methods
- Regulatory environment related to Area
- Transportation Modeling
- Budgeting/Financial Analysis
- Statistical Theory/Methods
- Project Management
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity in the organization and throughout service delivery
Required Skills & Abilities
- Presentations (Public Speaking)
- Written and oral communication
- Plan & Coordinate Projects
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Customer Relations
- Prepare/Administer Budgets
- Judgement & Decision-making
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
Technical Skills Requirements
- Smart City Technologies & Data Management
- Internet of Things technologies
- AutoCAD Electrical
- MUTCD, IMSA Signal Certification
- National Electric Code
- PE license (for some positions)
- Complete Streets project management
- GIS, Microsoft Office Applications
- Master's degree in Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning, or Information & Data Sciences preferred
- Bachelor's degree accepted for a majority of positions