Alternative Job Titles
State Maintenance Engineer, Road Maintenance Engineer, County Engineer, Public Works Director, Highway Maintenance Administrator, Director of Maintenance
A Highway Maintenance Engineer is responsible for determining cost-effect preventive maintenance treatments, upgrade, and repair strategies to maintain highways, bridges and roadside facilities within an assigned area of operation. This position follows state department of transportation standards and applies asset management principles to schedule and prioritize work. This position assess highway corridors holistically and programs actions through a lens of environmental stewardship, sustainability, safety, and resilience.
Other duties typically include:
- Develops and monitors maintenance budget.
- Oversees selection and maintenance of major roadway maintenance equipment.
- Responsible for landscape and vegetation management along roadways.
- Responsible for emergency response preparedness for maintenance.
- Responsible for the development, preparation, and letting of maintenance contracts for the district.
- Works with governmental officials and the public to set maintenance program goals and expectations.
- Administers and inspects contracted maintenance activities.
- Principles of asset management
- Construction engineering procedures
- Government programs and operations
- Roadside maintenance procedures
- Materials for highway/bridge maintenance
- Roadway/shoulder maintenance practices
- Drainage/bridge/culvert maintenance
- Preventive maintenance procedures
- Safety and incident management
- Fleet & traffic services
- Inventory managmeent
- Budgeting, life-cycle costing
- Environmental laws and regulations
Required Skills & Abilities
- Engineering principles, practices, methods
- Prioritizes and organizes
- Communicate effectively with the public
- Organizing, scheduling, coordinating
- Written and oral communication
- Customer service
Technical Skills Requirements
- Standard Microsoft Office applications
- Maintenance management software
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Professional experience in highway construction and maintenance with one of those years in a supervisory capacity