A Fleet Manager plans, organizes, implements, directs, and leads the activities of the Fleet Services Division of a Department of Public Works or a State Department of Transportation. Duties include oversight of vehicle and heavy equipment repair, maintenance, fueling, record keeping, and vehicle procurement/disposal. The Fleet Manager collaborates and coordinates with other departments and divisions and other governmental agencies.
Other responsibilities typically include:
- Determines whether equipment needs can be met.
- Buys or researches and recommends equipment for specific activities.
- Identifies and integrates new technologies into departmental operations.
- Ensures personnel safety through effective use of training, performance management, and communication.
- Participates in outside community and professional groups and committees.
- Mentors staff and provides training programs for equipment operators and other subordinates.
- Sets and monitors productivity measures.