Alternative Job Titles
Fleet Superintendent, Fleet Maintenance Manager, Automotive Pool Manager, Motor Vehicle Operations Manager, Equipment Manager, Director of Transportation Operations, Fleet Maintenance Supervisor
A Fleet Manager plans, organizes, implements, directs, and leads the activities of the Fleet Services Division of a Department of Public Works or a State Department of Transportation. Duties include oversight of vehicle and heavy equipment repair, maintenance, fueling, record keeping, and vehicle procurement/disposal. The Fleet Manager collaborates and coordinates with other departments and divisions and other governmental agencies.
Other responsibilities typically include:
- Determines whether equipment needs can be met.
- Buys or researches and recommends equipment for specific activities.
- Identifies and integrates new technologies into departmental operations.
- Ensures personnel safety through effective use of training, performance management, and communication.
- Participates in outside community and professional groups and committees.
- Mentors staff and provides training programs for equipment operators and other subordinates.
- Sets and monitors productivity measures.
- Preventive Maintenance
- Inventory Management
- Life-cycle Costing
- Equipment Maintenance Practices
- Procurement and Acquisition
- Parts Management
- Environmental Laws and Regulations
- Financial Management and Budgeting
- Risk Management
- Warranty and Performance Guarantees
Required Skills & Abilities
- Develop/implement plans
- and analyze technical codes
- and data
- Shop and facility management
- Diagnose and address operational problems
- Communicate effectively with the public
- Written and oral communication
- Hazardous waste disposal
- Strategic Mindset
- Customer service
- Complex Problem Solving
- Managerial/ Supervisory Experience and Leadership Skills
Technical Skills Requirements
- Fleet management software, Telematics
- Standard Microsoft Office application
Typical Salary$58,600 - $100,400
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field