Alternative Job Titles
Road Design Engineer, Roadway Engineer, Civil Engineer, Transportation Engineer
The Roadway Design Engineer prepares plans and specifications for roadway construction and improvement projects. Before a road structure can be designed, the Engineer must determine the exact route the road will take, how many lanes are needed, how this road interfaces with other roads, and how the flow of traffic will be maintained. Design of the roadway system involves many considerations including safety, parking, traffic calming, pedestrian and bike paths, drainage, highway signs, road markings, signal systems, roadway lighting, impact attenuators, and guide rails. The Roadway Design Engineer conducts traffic studies, participates in public meetings, writes technical reports, and conducts construction analyses.
Other responsibilities typically include:
- Performing roadway geometric design for horizontal and vertical alignment from preliminary to final design.
- Preparing technical designs in accordance with design standards using roadway design software.
- Preparing plan and specification documents including base sheet, details, quantities, special provisions, and estimates.
- Coordinating with reviewers to ensure accuracy and quality of work.
- Managing and maintaining project documentation.
- Design systems or structures using sustainable materials, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Preparing design for drainage and runoff.
- Preparing designs that do not damage natural plant and wildlife environments.
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Procedures of Design and Construction
- Mechanics of Materials
- Soil Mechanics and Geotechnics
- Vertical and Horizontal Geometric Design
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Drainage and Hydrology
- Economics and Life-Cycle Costing
- Transportation Safety, Mobility, and Access
Required Skills & Abilities
- Cost estimation
- Public interaction
- Attention to Detail
- Written and oral communication
- Exercise independent engineering judgement and provide innovative solutions to engineering problems
Technical Skills Requirements
- AASHTO and State DOT Criteria and Standards
- Roadway Design and Engineering Software such as Civil3D, MicroStation, and InRoads
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering (Highway Engineering)