Alternative Job Titles
Highway Field Operations Supervisor, Transportation Maintenance Superintendent, Area Maintenance Supervisor, Highway Maintenance Manager, Highway Operations Technician Supervisor, Highway Patrol Foreman, Roadway Operations Manager, Highway Maintenance Supervisor
A Highway Maintenance Superintendent is a top-level supervisor. The Superintendent develops schedules and budgets and sets work priorities for maintenance operations. The Superintendent supervises multiple crews tasked with highway and bridge maintenance, repairs, and reconstruction. This person is often assisted by a Senior Highway Maintenance Worker.
Other responsibilities typically include:
- Accounting for all equipment issued to subordinates or self, such as hand tools, road building tools, materials, plows and sanders, and trucks and heavy equipment.
- Assists with management and developing and monitoring individual training programs.
- Works with governmental offices and the public.
- Administers and inspects contracted maintenance activities.
- Asset Management: life-cycle costing, budgeting, and inventory management
- Roadside maintenance procedures
- Preventive & predictive maintenance procedures
- Roadway and shoulder maintenance best practices including management of water, vegetation, animal habitat, and herbicide usage
- Winter maintenance
- Bridge and culvert maintenance
- Traffic services including pavement markings, guardrails, MUTCD
- Equipment maintenance practices
- Environmental laws and regulations
Required Skills & Abilities
- Supervisory experience providing technical discretion and guidance to a variety of skilled, semi-skilled, and manual laborers
- Read/interpret road and bridge plans and sketches
- Develop/implement plans, policies, programs, procedures
- Communicate effectively with the public
- Organizing, scheduling, coordinating
- Written and oral communication
- Customer service
- Ability to work in inclement weather
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Technical Skills Requirements
- Maintenance management software
- Standard Microsoft Office applications
- Bachelor's degree in Highway Maintenance Management