Alternative Job Titles
Entry-Level Engineer, Traffic Operations Engineer, Traffic Operations Program/Project Manager, Traffic Engineer, Traffic Program/Project Manager, Advanced Traffic Operations PM/Engineer
A traffic engineer will execute traffic signal, traffic operations, and intelligent transportation system design projects using civil engineering principles. A traffic engineer may work on traffic warrant and parking studies, transportation planning studies, traffic event management studies, and traffic signal/roadway design projects. Other design projects may include integration of connected and automated vehicle infrastructure, roundabouts, pavement markings, signings, and temporary traffic control devices. A senior engineer may review and make recommendations on existing and proposed signals, delineation, roadway lighting, and pavement markings. A traffic engineer should execute traffic engineering functions and activities to ensure efficient and safe traffic operations. An engineer with project management duties will manage project scope, schedule, and budget and serve as lead to bring a project to completion.
Other responsibilities typically include:
● Use of engineering software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
● Collection and preparation of data for evaluation and engineering reports.
● Coordination of projects from planning through final design.
● Design or management of transportation facilities operations.
● Management of staff and technical resources for a given engineering project.
● Coordination of project tasks across a variety of stakeholders.
- Transportation/ Traffic Engineering/ Operations
- Local Agency Procedures/ Standard Design Principles
- Project Management Practices
- ITS Technology/ Operations
- Highway Capacity Manuel
- ITE’s Traffic Engineering Handbook and Trip Generation Manual
Required Skills & Abilities
- or Problem-solving Skills
- Communication Skills
- Written and Verbal
- Managerial/ Supervisory Experience and Leadership Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time and Task Management Skills
- Technical Communication/Report Development Skills
- Ability to be innovative or creative
- Presentation Skills
- Possess a good attitude/work ethic
- Ability to work well on a team
- Organizational Skills/Attention to Detail
- Ability to work well independently
- Possess professional judgement
- Ability to work in fast-paced or stressful environment
Technical Skills Requirements
- Synchro, VISSIM, SimTraffic, HCS, Sidra, VISTRO, CORSIM, AutoCAD, MicroStation
- GIS Software, Geopak
- General Computer Skills, MS Office
Typical Salary$51,700 - $96,300
- Master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree required.
- Major coursework in civil engineering with traffic or transportation emphasis sometimes preferred.
- EIT/PE License commonly required; PTOE sometimes preferred.